Roasted Root Vegetable Soup with Ground Meat
This recipe takes a some prep work but, comes together pretty easily. The bonus is that it can be combined in a crock pot and be a surefire crowd pleaser at any potluck event or perfect for meal prep.
Pre-roasting the vegetables adds another dimension to the soup and prevents each bite tasting the same.
TimePrep Time: 0:40 | Cook Time: 0:20 | Total Time: 1:00
- 1 28 ounce can tomato crushed or diced
- 1 28 ounce can tomato puree. See note on making puree
- 1 32 ounce container chicken stock or broth
- 1 whole green pepper diced
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 large whole sweet potato diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1.5 pounds unseasoned meat ground
- 1 whole onion chopped, you can use any color, red ones will have a stronger onion flavor
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce I use a Vegan brand. This can be substituted with 2 teaspoon Fish Sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon garlic crushed, or 4-5 large fresh cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon favorite dried herb blend mix
- 1.5 teaspoon olive oil, avocado oil, or melted coconut oil to coat sweet potato cauliflower, and carrot in to roast
- salt and pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels fresh or frozen, optional
In a large stock pot or crock pot combine tomatoes, chicken stock/broth, green pepper and optional corn.
This portion you two options. One version is to brown on stove top in batches: combine the cauliflower, sweet potato, and carrot in a large skillet over medium heat with the olive oil. If you do not have a skillet to accommodate all of it then it is ok to partition off the olive oil and cook in batches dumping the cooked vegetables into to stock pot. Cook these vegetables until well browned. Another version is to place on a cookie sheet after tossing in olive oil and roast in 425 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.
Once the vegetables all cooked and in soup. In a large skillet cook meat over medium high heat until done. Add onion, garlic and favorite herb seasoning until meat begins to get crispy and onion is aromatic and is golden translucent in appearance. Once done add into stock pot or crock pot.
Once all combined simmer for about 20-30 minutes. 40 min prep time and 20-30 minutes to cook all together on stove top over medium heat.
** To make tomato puree: open can of diced or crushed tomatoes. Using an stick/immersion blend or regular blender. Blend until smooth. That easy.
**If making in a crock pot make sure it is at least 6 quarts or larger.